Boosting Your WordPress SEO
Optimizing your blog for SEO is incredibly important. It attracts new visitors, keeps them longer on your site, and ranks your site higher in search results. We’ve put together a couple of pretty basic things you can do to make your blog easier for search engine “crawlers” to index your site and content. No worries, it’s these are all quite easy. Let’s walk through some of the steps…
1. Write blog posts that build “Authority” and “Trust”. In order to do this you have to blog frequently and the more your blog the better it will be for SEO. Creating authority and trust on your site is what visitors and search engines are looking for. Select a small handful of topics for your blog. If you write about a lot of different topics make sure you write more frequently to build more credibility.
2. Make content easy to navigate. One of the best ways to do this is implementing “pagination” on your blog. Pagination is a way to number your pages so it’s easier to scroll and archive content. Try to avoid having all of your posts show on one page, it can slow down load time and make it hard for crawlers to categorize content. Pagination user friendly and reducing the number of clicks in navigating archived content.
Some bad examples of pagination are the following:
3. Showcase similar articles at the end of a post. A great way to gain more click throughs on your blog, improve findability, and increase your PageRank is to add related posts at the end of an article. My favorite plugin for this is YARPP. Here’s a great example of what this looks like below.
The second part of this is showing the title name of the next or previous post on your blog. Here’s a great example below.
By doing this can help increase time spent on your blog and boost user engagement. Go here to learn how to apply this to your blog.
4. Properly Use Categories and Limit them. A great way to archive your content and make it more user friendly is to categorize your posts, but can also help classify your content into deeper themed pages, which in the end creates a better rank in search results. Some tips to managing your categories is to limit your categories to 10 words and only assign one keyword to a post. By doing this will help to create fuller pages of content instead of pages that have a few articles.
5. Diversify your post title and title tag. It’s really important to have different variation of keywords in your post. But one thing that will really stand out in search results is doing this for your title and title tag. The title is the name of your post and the title tag is used by search engine results pages (SERPs) to display a snapshot of what that page is about. The title tag is an accurate description of a page’s content. Varying these words by using different keywords or synonyms will give your content a better chance of being found and ranked in more search results. Here’s some great plugins recommendations for this.
6. Add visible sharing buttons. Making it easy for your visitor to share your content will result in your content being shared more. The whole purpose of social sharing is to have your content to receive a larger reach and increase the likelihood of mentions and links. Google places value on social sharing in it’s search results, so a great way to do this is have social sharing buttons visible at all times. Sharebar is a popular plugin but also Addthis is another great one.