I knew absolutely knew nothing about blogging when I began my blog. I learned a lot on my own but also learned a lot from other bloggers. I can’t wait to be a part of the food blogging panel and share with you some of the things that I have learned along the way. If I had to narrow down what I would want to share with you, these would be my top 5 pieces of advice.
1. Continue learning new things – take a photography class, check out books about food styling, try a new cooking method. It’s always great to be constantly learning to help you come up with content and improve your site.
2. Get ads on your sites – no matter how big or small you are, get ads up on your blog. You can even just begin with Google ads. Then as you get more traffic, get with an ad network. There are many great ad networks out there for food sites. Many of them offer other opportunities to earn money as well.
3. Get an SLR camera – you can begin with a point and shoot. Many point and shoot cameras can take great pictures and are a great starting point. However, getting an SLR will help take your blog to the next level. There is definitely a learning curve and some learn faster than others, but it is an investment that is well worth it.
4. Ask – it never hurts to ask another blogger about something. Most of us are willing to help. You can also find other opportunities by just asking. The worst thing anyone can say to you is no.
5. Take a break – you can get burned out, even though it is something you are passionate about. So take a break when you need to in order to recharge and get back into what you love.
We asked a couple questions about blogging and her. Read by getting to know her!
1. Why do you start a blog?
I started mine as an outlet during a stressful time. My husband lost his job and I needed something to take my mind off what we were going through. It was what helped keep me going.
2. How long have you been blogging? Since April 2008
3. Who is your inspiration?
I get inspiration from a lot of places. My main inspiration, the person who inspired me to begin my blog, was Mel from Mel’s Kitchen. I also get inspiration from other bloggers like Pioneer Woman along with celebrities like Paula Deen, Trisha Yearwood, and Bobby Flay.
4. Hobbies other than blogging?
I love to read, travel, and dance.
5. What is one thing you wish you had know when you started your blog?
I wish I had known more about photography. Then I could have began with better looking photographs.
6. Who is your celebrity crush?
Matt Boomer would be may latest celebrity crush. I love to watch him in White Collar.
Laura is hosting a giveaway on her website for a ticket to the Build Your Blog Conference! The giveaway ends January 24th. Make sure you enter because we would love for you to come!