SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and is the process of getting "free" listings on search engine sites; like Google, Yahoo and Bing. Every search engine lists results to a search ranked on what they feel is most relevant to readers. The higher ranked you are on the search results page and more frequently your site appears in search results lists, and the more visitors you will receive.
When we first started our blog, we had no idea about SEO or how to improve it and drive more traffic to our blog. When we decided to turn our blog into a business, our Dad gave us some tips that helped improve our SEO and increase our traffic.
1. Use catchy titles. Using a catchy title post will drive people to your site. It is more interesting to people when they see the title "Gooey Caramel Chocolate Cake" rather than "Chocolate Cake". When you are writing a title for a post, try to think of what readers would type into search engines when they are searching for something.
2. Use images. Using images in every post and naming them properly can help in SEO. Some people use search engines to look solely for images. By having an image on every post, you will improve your SEO. When you save images, save them as the title of your post. The more frequently you get that title out there, the higher your ranking will be with search engines.
3. Use social media sites. Social media sites are free and are a great way to improve your SEO. Share every post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and any other sites you use. At the top of our blog, we show our readers all the different social media sites we use and give them a link to connect with us. We share every post we publish on each social media outlet we use.
4. Share high quality content. Search engines also rank your site based on the quality of its contents. Use content that is unique and informative.
5. Link back to yourself. One of the easiest ways to improve SEO is to add internal links to your site. Make a point to link back to your archives to show new readers content they may not see by simply looking at your blog. Avoid excessive linking so your readers don't get annoyed. At the bottom of each post, we share links to our older posts that would relate to that particular post. This is a great way to draw people in and read more of your posts.
Here is an example of how to internally link back to your site:
Be sure to register for our conference!
We would love to see you there!