When we started our blog, we used it solely to keep in touch and share our ideas with each other. After blogging for a few weeks, we noticed that a few other people had found us! As we continued to post on our blog, our numbers began to slowly increase. We got more and more excited as we saw our blog begin to grow in popularity. We then decided to focus on improving our blog and increasing the number of page views and readers. We spent countless hours trying different techniques to get our blog "out there" and exposed to more readers. Through a lot of trial and error, we found that these 10 techniques helped our blog to get noticed in a crowded field:
1. Participate in link parties. Participating in link parties gave us our start in the blogging world. Link parties allow you to share your ideas, recipes and projects with other bloggers. When our blog was starting out, we would participate in 5-10 link parties every day! It was a little time consuming, but made a huge difference in the traffic we were seeing on our blog. Most bloggers who host link parties, host them weekly. We made sure to link up our best posts from the previous week as to try and get featured on each blog we linked up to. You can find a list of link parties we would participate in here.
2. Participate in blog hops. The main purpose of a blog hop is to introduce new bloggers to each other. We gained a lot of our followers, in the beginning, by using blog hops to meet new bloggers and followed each other to help all of our blogs grow. You can find a great list of blog hops here.
3. Be personable. Your readers want to know about you and where you come from. The more your readers can connect to you, the more dedicated they will be to you and your blog. We found that when we started adding personal touches to our posts that our readers would respond positively. It also helps to respond to your readers when they leave comments on your blog or other social media outlets.
4. Team up with other bloggers. It never hurts to ask a blogger to write a guest post for them. When we started our blog, we were contributors for blogs who were bigger than ours. By writing occasional posts on other blogs, we were able to gain readers for our own. We have also teamed up with other bloggers on giveaways, where those who enter the contest have to follow both blogs. Two heads are always better than one, or two blogs, that is!
5. Always use your URL. The more you use your URL the more it will be seen. Leave your URL in comments, on Facebook pages, or wherever you leave your name. You want to make it as easy as possible for others to find your blog!
6. Comment on other blogs. Commenting on other blogs is a great way to connect with other bloggers. When we started our blog, we would go to link parties and comment on as many posts as possible. We would leave a nice comment and invite them to our blog. It takes a bit of time, but is worth it to build good connections with other bloggers.
7. Add every post to social media websites. Anytime you have a new post, be sure to put it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or any other social media outlets you use. The more people who see it, the more traffic you will receive.
8. Host a giveaway and invite others to enter. When we started our blog, we would supply products for our own giveaways. I remember sewing baby neckties in my apartment to use for giveaways. It might be a lot of blood, sweat and tears but it is a great way to attract people to your site. Be sure to invite other bloggers to your giveaway by leaving comments on their blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc. There are tons of Etsy shops and businesses who are willing to supply giveaway prizes for even the smallest blogs! It never hurts to ask!
9. Use catchy headlines. The more enticing your post headlines are, the more people will be intrigued to come to your blog. Use descriptive words in your post titles that will appeal to your readers.
10. Make each post "pin-worthy." We receive a lot of our traffic from Pinterest. By making your pictures and descriptions eye catching, people will pin your posts more frequently. Using hashtags on Pinterest will also help people find your blog.
Build Your Blog Conference
Registration is now open!
Click here to register.
Click here to register.
There are only a limited number of spots available, so you will want to be sure you get in.
Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and Pinterest for all the latest info about this conference.